Daytona Part 2 for Rolex Winner Brendan Gaughan Gaughan Racing Tundra for South Point and Germain Racing
Mooresville, N.C. (February 14, 2010) – The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series fans will be excited to see one of their own return to them when the No. 62 South Point Hotel & Casino Tundra takes to the track for Friday’s NextEra Energy Resources 250 to kick off the 2011 racing season. Behind the wheel will be Las Vegas’ Brendan Gaughan. He holds eight Truck Series wins, three poles and is excited to return in a Toyota Tundra as part of the reigning champions – Germain Racing.
“This will be the best chance I’ve had to win in the Truck Series at Daytona in a long time,” said Gaughan, a ranking member of Truck Series history who is still smiling from his recent win in the Rolex 24 GT Class at Daytona.
Gaughan explains that while he’s now a member of the elite list of Daytona race winners, he’s still very enthusiastic about heading into the 2011 Truck Series season with one of the best restrictor plate teams in the garage.
“We all know that in NASCAR we go into our season with our ‘Super Bowl’ as our first race – Daytona. Going to Daytona with Germain Racing, a team which we all know has collected ‘a few’ wins on restrictor plate tracks—knowing I’ll be racing their equipment, I can’t help but be excited about the possibilities. Everyone wants to win at Daytona. I’ve done it, and I want to do it again. I’m really excited about getting into the South Point Hotel & Casino Tundra at Daytona,” said Gaughan.
Bryan Berry will lead the way for Gaughan and the two will have one of the newest Tundra trucks in Germain’s fleet. He has been crew chief for Gaughan in his last three Truck Series seasons.
“It’s great to be back with Brendan, in the Truck Series. We have worked together at three different teams over the past five years. Germain Racing is a great fit for us and the equipment we are getting to race is exactly what you’d expect from a championship team. The two newest teams have the two brand new trucks heading into the season opener. We like our chances with chassis GR-014 and we’re looking forward to all the support here at Germain,” said Berry, a Homestead, FL, native who now lives in NC.
Germain Racing has two Daytona wins. Gaughan and Berry hope to make it three when the Truck Series season kicks off on Friday night. Watch Gaughan in the No. 62 South Point Hotel & Casino Tundra on Friday, February 18th, at Daytona International Speedway. The green flag is set to wave just after 7:30 PM Eastern for 100 laps/250 Miles of Daytona action. Watch live coverage on SPEED—practice is Wednesday at 4:30 PM and at noon on Thursday followed that evening by qualifying at 6:00 PM. Racing is at 7:30 PM. For radio coverage tune in to your local MRN affiliate.
Germain Racing has earned two championship titles in the Truck Series. The Toyota team owns team owns 22 victories and 9 pole awards in the series that continues to grow ratings on SPEED. For more information on Germain Racing, visit www.GermainRacing.com or follow the team on Twitter @GermainRacing.
Brendan Gaughan holds eight Truck Series victories to go along with his two K&N Pro Series West championship titles. Follow Gaughan at www.BrendanGaughan.com or on Twitter @Brendan62.
About South Point…The South Point (http://www.SouthPointCasino.com) is a 2,200-room resort in Las Vegas, Nevada providing affordable luxury while catering to visitors and locals alike. This casino destination features a world-class spa, bowling center, eight restaurants, showroom, equestrian arena, convention center, exhibit hall, bingo and all of the casino games that made Las Vegas famous. The South Point opened in December 2005.
- Gaughan is an 8-time winner in the Truck Series
- He returns to the Trucks behind wheel of No. 62 South Point Hotel & Casino Tundra
- Gaughan’s crew chief is Bryan Berry
- Gaughan won in the GT class in the Rolex 24 at Daytona this year
On Returning to Truck Series Competition: “I’m truly looking forward to racing in the Truck Series again. The fans are great. The racing that the fans get to see is some of the best racing in NASCAR. And, to be racing for the reigning Truck Series champions…I can’t imagine a better scenario.”
On Competition Level in Trucks: “The competition level in the Truck Series? Well, when you look at names like Ron Hornaday, and of course Todd Bodine, you’ve got Kyle Busch that races there and Skinner—when you look at the competition level at the top of the series, it is really tough.”
On Racing the No. 62: “We are back in the 62 and there are a lot of reasons for it. It was my number when I almost won my championship. I won all the races with the 62. It’s what I’ve been racing for the last two NASCAR seasons, and, it was my oldest brother’s high school football jersey number. When we first came up with the number it was when we started in the Truck Series. We couldn’t get either my West Series number, which was 16, or my off-road number, which was 20. So, we took a piece of each and made 62. And, since it was my brother John’s jersey number, and he was always my hero, it was kind of a special deal. We won a lot of races with the 62 and I’m hoping this season we’ll see it back in victory lane.”
- On Racing at Daytona…”We all know that in NASCAR we go into our season with our ‘Super Bowl’ with our first race being at Daytona. Going to Daytona with Germain Racing, a team which we all know has collected ‘a few’ wins on restrictor plate tracks—knowing I’ll be racing their equipment. I can’t help but be excited about the possibilities. Everyone wants to win at Daytona. I came real close to winning in 2003, but ran out of gas! I think this is the best chance I’ve had to win at Daytona in a long time. I’m really excited about getting in the South Point Hotel & Casino Tundra at Daytona.”
- Chassis GR-014 will be the No. 62 South Point Hotel & Casino Tundra for Gaughan at Daytona. It’s one of two brand new superspeedway trucks built by Germain Racing in the off-season.
- Germain Racing competes in NASCAR’s three national series and in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series. The team owns two Truck Series championship titles and consecutive top-five Truck Series points finishes dating back to 2005
- Follow Germain Racing @GermainRacing on Twitter or become a fan on Facebook
- Germain Racing is seeking team sponsors. Visit www.GermainRacing.com
- South Point Hotel & Casino can be found on the web at southpointcasino.com or follow South Point Hotel & Casino on Twitter @SouthPointLV
- Follow Brendan Gaughan on Twitter @Brendan62 or visit his website brendangaughan.com